Like many of my salads, this simple Mediterranean-inspired Heirloom Tomato Salad with za'atar dressing was created spontaneously by combining complementary ethnic flavours. The salad features succulent and sweet heirloom tomatoes, black olives, and shallots, all dressed in a delectable sweet and tangy dressing. Enjoy it as a side dish for your summer barbecues or as a light and easy summer meal with some toasted bread. Ah, the sweet pleasures of summertime.
Once the summer heat hits, we all get to the point where we want nothing to do with cooking. Grilled meat and salads are the way to go. This salad doubles as a side dish for your summer grilled delights or a light + simple summer dinner with some toasty bread. Oh, sweet summertime!
This Heirloom tomato salad with Za'atar dressing is a delicious side for your favourite grilled meat dish such as these savoury chicken kabobs, or this lemony Greek chicken breast recipe. You can also pair this salad along with famous mezze recipes like hummus, baba ganoush, tabbouleh, & kisir.
Ingredients for this Heirloom Tomato Salad
This salad simply needs the best tomatoes since its flavour heavily depends on fresh summer tomatoes at the peak of their perfection. Once you've found your tomatoes, then the rest of the ingredients are pantry staples.
You'll need the following:
- Heirloom Tomatoes ⏤ Any colour or size. I recommend picking a mix of varieties for a beautiful coloured salad.
- Olives ⏤ I've used black-cured olives for this recipe, but you can use any olive variety you love.
- Shallot or red onion
Za'atar Salad Dressing
This sweet tangy dressing is going to be a hit with your family and friends during your next gathering. This dressing also doubles as a marinade.
- Red wine vinegar ⏤ Any pungent vinegar is a good replacement for red wine vinegar.
- Za'atar ⏤ If you can find za'atar use dried oregano
- Honey ⏤ for a touch of sweetness
- Lemon Zest ⏤ No juice need just the zest.
How To Store Heirloom Tomato Salad
If you have leftovers of this tomato salad, store it in an airtight container in the fridge. If possible, keep the tomatoes and dressing separately, as this will keep them crisp and fresher.
How Long will this heirloom tomato salad last in the fridge?
If the dressing is separate, you can store this tomato salad in the fridge for up to 2-3 days. If not then I recommend not letting it sit longer than overnight and making sure to mix it up well before serving to redistribute the dressing and vegetables. The dressing can last one week in the fridge.
Love this Salad here are some to try
You'll love how quickly and easily this salad comes together and it’s so fresh and vibrant with an added sweet tanginess from the za'atar dressing. Tomato salads are so best recipes to add to your summer cookouts! It’s so quick and easy to make this salad, there’s no excuse not to try it.
Heirloom Tomato Salad
- 1 lbs fresh tomatoes quartered
- ⅓ cup black olives
- 1 shallot sliced
- ½ teaspoon pul biber or Aleppo pepper
- 3 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon za'atar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- To make the salad, gather all the necessary ingredients and combine them in a generously sized salad bowl.
- To make the dressing, simply place all the ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake it well until everything is fully combined.
- After preparing the salad, gently drizzle the dressing over it. To add a hint of spice, sprinkle some pul biber on top. Pair with your preferred grilled meats and sides.