Sumac Tomato Salad is the ultimate simple summer tomato salad! This salad is simple to prepare yet boasts all of the best flavours of summer tomatoes. Tomato & pepper are tossed into bright & light homemade garlic lemon vinaigrette, then topped with sumac and mint. Perfect for healthy weeknight eats & summer entertaining! Naturally vegetarian & gluten-free, easily dairy-free & vegan.
This is my "go-to" salad that I make whenever I have a plethora of ripe tomatoes. I've been making this salad for as long as I can remember. There's nothing groundbreaking in it; it's just a really classic combination of tomatoes, fresh herbs and garlicky lemon dressing.
The funny thing about this salad is that it's identical to my favourite cabbage salad, Salata Malfoul; the only difference is swapping out the cabbage for tomatoes. It just goes to show you once you understand the flavour profile of the Mediterranean, you'll have access to endless impromptu meal ideas.
what you'll need to make this sumac tomato salad
There's not much to this salad. It's super basic so try to choose the most flavourful ripe tomatoes you can find.
- Tomatoes - I use heirloom, Roma, and cherry tomatoes for this recipe. There's no hard rule to which tomatoes you use; just make sure they're tasty for the best results. Feel free to mix and match your tomatoes.
- Chilli Pepper - I have to omit I have a passion for a bit of spice in my life. If you're not into spicy food, swap with green pepper or don't use any peppers at all. It'll still be a delicious salad.
- Green onions - Green onions add great flavour to this salad that’s light and less pungent than white or red onions
- Garlicky lemon dressing - The classic Mediterranean trio! Garlic, lemon, & olive oil, never disappoints.
- Herbs- for this salad, I used fresh mint. However, parsley is a great substitution.
- Sumac - This ingredient may be hard to source for some of you; I recommend ordering online or taking a trip to a Middle Eastern grocery store. Purchasing sumac is definitely worth trouble as it's an ingredient often used for tartness in many Eastern Mediterranean recipes.
How to make this salad?
The sumac tomato salad is the easiest 3-step salad that you can whip up in no time. No dicing is needed! Just big chunks of juicy tomatoes are the best for this salad.
- Chop the tomatoes into quartered pieces & thinly slice the peppers.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, crushed garlic and olive oil. Whisk until creamy or place everything into a sealed jar and give a good shake.
- Pour the dressing on the tomatoes and give them a good toss. Top with mint & sumac, then serve.
More delicious salad recipes to try
Sumac Tomato Salad
- 1 lbs fresh tomato quartered
- 1 green chilli pepper, sliced
- 1 green onion sliced
- 2 tablespoon fresh mint, sliced
- ½ teaspoon sumac
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed into a paste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Add tomatoes, green pepper, and green onions to a medium-sized serving bowl.
- Place all the dressing ingredients into a small sealable jar with a lid. Seal the lid and shake the dressing until fully mixed.
- Pour the dressing onto the tomato mixture, then toss to combine. Sprinkle the salad with fresh mint & sumac. Serve alongside your favourite main dish.