Let me introduce you to the Easiest Roasted Tomato Soup you’ll ever make! Juicy sweet cherry tomatoes, roasted with loads of garlic peppers, & onions, to draw out their natural sweetness & aromatic flavours. Once roasted, simply blend into a luxurious tomato soup, then top off with cubes of buttery brioche grilled cheese croutons. It’s a childhood favourite with a grown-up twist!
Eaisest roasted tomato soup with the tastiest grilled cheese ever to accompany a bowl of soup!
I’m SO excited to start soup season with the famous childhood classic tomato soup with grilled cheese.
I’ll be honest with you, when I was a child, I preferred chicken noodle soup vs tomato soup. My brother loved tomato soup & grilled cheese, so this was on the menu more often than I liked…I still remember being five years old crying cause I hated it so much. To this day the thought of Cambell's tomato soup makes me cringe.
However, the good news is, this recipe is nothing like the cringe-inducing tomato soup memories of my childhood. This roasted tomato soup is worth falling in love with tomato soup for its incredible rich flavour & creamy yet rustic texture. Only to be topped off with buttery cubes of crispy grilled cheese croutons. This is a soup that's delicious, now I weep with joy!
The secret to the best tomato soup ever
It's the cheese!
Just kidding, parmesan cheese definitely adds to the deliciousness of the soup but...The secret to achieving the tastiest tomato soup is roasting the tomatoes with loads of aromatic like onion & garlic. Roasting concentrates the flavour of the tomatoes’ natural umami & the sweetness of the red pepper, onions, & garlic. And the best part is the oven does all the work! Plus your kitchen will smell divine!
Homemade Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe Highlights
This roasted tomato soup with grilled cheese croutons is…
- RICH IN FLAVOUR. The secret to the BEST tomato soup is slowly roasting your tomatoes, with aromatics so you can bring out all of their natural sweetness & concentrates their delicious flavour.
- LOW MAINTANCE! This recipe is low-fuss cooking⏤The oven & hand blender do all of the work. In no time, you’ll have the most delicious luscious tomato soup well you catch up on some much needed me time.
- A COLD WEATHER STAPLE. I’ve been making this recipe for years, and can happily eat for a couple day straight. Once you see how simple & delicious it is, you’ll make it all soup-season long⏤guaranteed!
OTHER RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS:
- Use old Tomatoes: This recipe is best way to use up older tomatoes. So if you have some wrinkled tomatoes that you don’t know what to do with, don’t toss them just make this soup!
- Storage & Reheating: Roasted tomato soup is incredibly make-ahead friendly. This is on of those recipes that store really well & like most tomato based recipes it gets even better as it sits & its flavours meld together! Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 5 days. You simply reheat on the stovetop, if the soup is too thick just add a bit of extra cream or water.
- Freezer instructions: This soup is also incredibly freezer-friendly. Freeze for up to 3 months. To thaw, place in a refrigerator overnight.
MORE SOUP RECIPES TO TRY:
- Mediterranean Lentil Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Garden Fresh Chicken Soup
- Lebanese Lentil & Chard Soup
Roasted Tomato soup with grilled cheese croutons
- Two Baking sheets
- hand blender or a high-speed blender
- dutch oven
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 large red pepper seeded, sliced in half
- 1 large onion peeled, cut into chunks
- 1 whole Garlic head
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- ⅓ cup 18% cream
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
Brioche Grilled cheese
- 8 slices brioche styled bread
- 8 tsp butter
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Ensure the oven rack is positioned in the upper third of the oven, then preheat oven to 375ºF
Prepare Grilled Cheese
- Butter the outside of the bread, then add the grated cheese to the middle of the bread.
- Place the prepared sandwich onto a sheet pan and continue the process until you’ve finished preparing all the sandwiches for baking.
- Place the sheet pan with grilled cheese in the oven. Bake for 3-4 minutes, then flip. And continue baking for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the oven as soon as golden.
- Allow the grilled cheese to cool off, then cut them into 1 inch cubed bites. If you cut the grilled cheese before it’s cooled, it’ll flatten the bread.
- Once you have cut the grilled cheese into cubes, place them back onto the baking sheet, cover with a clean tea towel, and set a side.
Bake the Vegetables
- Increase the heat of the oven to 425ºF.
- Meanwhile, place the tomatoes, red pepper, and onion on the sheet pan.
- Cut the tips off the head of garlic and place them on the sheet pan with the other vegetables. Drizzle the olive oil evenly over the veggies, then sprinkle with salt and toss everything together with your hands
- Roast the veggies for 40 minutes, until the veggies look shrivelled and the skins start to blister. Remove from the oven.
- Once the vegetables have been removed from the oven, turn off the heat, wait 5 minutes, then place the grilled cheese croutons back into the oven. The croutons will become crispy, and the cheese will melt again from the residual heat.
Prepare Soup Base
- Add the broth and tomato paste to a Dutch oven. Whisk to combine the broth and paste. Over medium-high heat, bring the broth to a slight boil. Once the broth is warm, add the roasted tomatoes, onions, red pepper, basil and squeeze the roasted garlic out of its skin.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the ingredients into a blended soup (there will be little texture in the soup). You could use a high-speed blender instead of an immersion blender for a smoother soup.
- Finally, stir in the cream, parmesan cheese and balsamic vinegar. Then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Taste the soup and adjust the salt, if needed.
- Spoon the soup into a bowl(s). Add a few grilled cheese croutons to the top of the soup. Garnish with extra chopped basil, if desired.