My favourite Goat Soup is a treasured family recipe. A savoury & rich tomato broth simmered with an abundance of aromatic and goat meat until perfectly fall-apart tender. This Goat Soup is total comfort food! It's cozy, warm, savoury, & tangy all in one bowl. You can make it with an instant pot in about 40 minutes...Goat soup for the weeknight win!
Have you ever eaten goat meat? If not, this Goat Soup is an excellent introduction to goat meat. The goat meat is infused with aromatic spice and simmer to create a delicious soul-satisfying stock. The Bucatini gives the soup an almost child-like satisfaction with their sauce slurping abilities.
I do have confessions about these photos for this recipe. I used Bucatini, and I realized once I started eating this soup, they needed to be broken down a little more than shown in the photos. For some reason, I thought it was a great idea the day I took the photos.
However, I think it's only a great idea if you want your children drinking the stew through bucatini straws or the slurpy noodles sprinkling the delicious broth all over the front of your shirt. If those are not the results you want for your family dinner, break the noodle up smaller than seen in the photo.
Goat meat is the best meat for the Mediterrean Diet
Goat meat is healthier than other red meats like beef, lamb, and pork. It is naturally lean, very nutritious and has a range of health benefits.
Goat meat has more iron, comparable protein and lower levels of saturated fat, calories, and cholesterol compared to beef and chicken. Not only is it a great source of protein, but Goat Meat is also full of Vitamins B6, B12, C, E, A, and K, as well as Calcium, Phosphorus, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium, and Potassium. Goat meat is definitely superior nutritionally to other forms of red meat.
Where to find Goat meat?
I will omit the most significant problem you'll find with goat meat is accessibility. That's because it's not sold in all major grocery chains, and you'll have to venture out to a butcher or grocery store that sells Middle Eastern, Indian or Caribbean foods. If you're new to the Mediterranean diet but don't want to give up red meat, I strongly recommend seeking out goat meat.
Tips for cooking Goat meat
There are many ways to cook goat meat, but you'll need to slow cook the meat on low heat for best results. This will ensure tender, juicy meat. A pressure cooker like the Instant pot is a handy tool for quick meals using goat meat.
Goat meat can be swapped with the most beef recipe without too much difference in taste.
More Soup recipes to try
- 200g goat meat, cut into cubes
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- ½ bunch parsley, washed
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery, chopped
- 1 tomato, divide into 4 pieces
- 1 Indian bay leaf
- 2-3 garlic
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 whole Allspice berries
- 6 whole caradamon seeds
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 6 oz bucatini pasta, broken into smaller pieces broken into smaller pieces
- ¼ cup parsley, finely diced
- Prepare the goat stock. Add all of the stock ingredients into an instant pot. Seal the lid, and make sure the pressure valve is closed. Select the "STEW" button cook at high pressure for 25 minutes. Once the timer finishes, then allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Strain the stock. Once the natural release timer reaches 10 minutes, release any extra pressure. Strain the stock in a colander with a large blow underneath. Remove the goat meat from the leftover vegetables. Set the goat meat aside to cool.
- Prepare the stew. Rinse the instant pot to remove any little bit of leftover stock. Place the pot insert back into the instant pot, then add the strained stock back into the pot. Press the "SAUTE" button. Add the tomato paste and broken bucatini noodle into the pot. Simmer uncovered until the pasta cooks⏤occasionally stir to ensure the pasta doesn't stick.
- Add in the goat meat. Meanwhile, remove the goat meat from its bones and cut it into bite-sized pieces. Toss the meat into the stew.
- Finishing the stew. once the pasta is cooked and the stew is slightly thickened, add in the parsley and serve w
Additional Topping Ideas to try:
- Magic Garlicky Green Sauce
- Greek Feta Cheese