This Healthy Ranch Dip is a favourite family recipe & it’s my absolute go-to during the summer months! Made with 6 simple ingredients & prepped and set in 10 minutes or less⏤Healthier + Tastier than store-bought! But, if that isn't enough, this dip recipe is a quick & easy side dish for any crudité platter, spice BBQ chicken, or a salad dressing this summer!
Get your dipping veggies ready!!! This Healthy Ranch Dip is going to FOREVER CHANGE your crudité plating, chicken-dippin, salad mixing ways.
There's something about the nostalgic feeling you get when dipping a piece of vegetable into ranch dressing. It's a right of passage for most Canadian children, which continues to be passed down through each generation.
I'm not a huge fan of the more store-bought creamy ranch dressing, that where once a cherished part of my childhood (& yes, growing up in Canada, we ate a lot of it!). I find it tastes funny now; please tell me I'm not the only one who grew up to hate ranch dressing!
I wanted a ranch dressing I could feel good about! One that's tasty & healthy...if that even possible?
So I used a mixture of Kefir & sour cream, which is jam-packed with gut-loving probiotics, the tanggg...the texture... the CREAMINESS! It was HEAVEN-ON-A-SPOON!!! Hands-down the best ranch dressing of my life. (dramatic...yes, but this isn't just my opinion) It's the most delicious way to get healthy probiotics in and a great way for kids (or adults!) to take probiotics if they're picky about fermented foods.
What You'll Need
- Kefir: Probiotic-rich kefir is a delicious way to add beneficial bacteria to your favourite foods.
- Sour Cream: When selecting sour cream look at the ingredients there should only be 3 ingredients.
- Herbs: I like to parsley & dill for this recipe, but sometime I only add parsley. For a longer shelf live use only dried herbs.
- Garlic & Onion Powder: Don't confuse the powder with salt, or you'll have very salty dip and I don't think you'll enjoy it. You can use fresh garlic and chives instead, but I love the taste of the powdered onion & garlic, also it produces the best texture.
How to make Ranch Dip?
Place all of the ingredients into a small bowl and use a spoon to combine until it’s well blended, with no chunks of seasoning. Once it’s all smooth and at your desired thickness⏤transfer to a dip bowl or an airtight container for later usage.
Healthy Ranch Dip Recipe Highlights
This dip is…
- FILLED WITH GOOD-FOR-YOU INGREDIENTS. This ranch dip is loaded with probiotic goodness, thanks to Kefir and sour cream. (and no mayo in sight!).
- SERIOUSLY QUICK & EASY. Made with 7 simple ingredients in 10 minutes or less, & it’s make-ahead & meal prep-friendly, too!
- A DIPPING STAPLE. A dip that’s just as versatile as it is easy to throw together. You can pair it with chicken wings, or BBQ Harissa chicken straight from the grill, but it’s also a beloved dip for salads & crudité platters
This ranch dressing can keep for a month if the milk ingredients are fresh and you're using dried spices and herbs. If you're using fresh herbs and garlic, then it will last up to 5 days.
Milk kefir is a fermented drink made by soaking milk in kefir grains, which is a combination of bacteria and yeast. Placing milk with kefir grains and then allowing it to ferment in a warm place allows the good bacteria to grow and produces a probiotic milk drink similar to thin yogurt.
It tastes like a Tart yogurt with a slightly bubbly texture, almost like yogurt soda.
Kefir gives this dip the tangy taste; however, a yogurt drink would suffice. If you're replacing the kefir with a yogurt drink, do not replace the sour cream.
You can use greek yogurt, but for the tangy taste, you must use kefir. It would be best if you didn't swap both for this recipe.
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup plain kefir
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- Place all of the ingredients into a bowl.
- Mix until smooth. If the mixture is too thick add a little extra kefir until you have the constancy you want.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a month.
Fresh herbs: If using fresh you'll need to double amount of the herbs.
- Fresh Parsley: 2 teaspoons finely diced
- Fresh Dill: 1 teaspoon finely diced
- Garlic: you'll need just 1 clove and mash it into a paste
- Onion: use chives or green onion and finely dice.
If you need to swap the milk ingredient only swap one or the other.
- Kefir for drinkable yogurt
- Sour cream for greek yogurt.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 64Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 223mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g