Tired of cans but too lazy to boil chickpeas on the stovetop for 45-60 minutes? Thanks to the Instant pot, you can have a batch of cooked chickpeas on your table in 30 minutes! Let's learn how to make Instant pot chickpeas.
Instant Pot Chickpeas
I'm not going to lie, I have multiple cans of chickpeas sitting in my pantry, I love them they're easy, convenient and don't taste that much different from the cooked from scratch chickpeas.
I say ALL-POWER-TO-THE-CAN! However, cooking these little legumes has its benefit too like:
- Adding in aromatics like onions, garlic and cumin
- Being able to control the salt content
- The self-satisfaction of know you made it scratch
- Clearing up space from the pantry
How to Make Instant Pot Chickpeas
Start the recipe by rinsing the chickpeas and removing any stones or bad looking chickpeas. Once you're done with rinsing cover 1 cup of dried chickpea in 3 cups of freshwater⏤soak for 6-8 hours. If you choose not to soak your chickpeas you'll need to increase the pressure cooking time to 50 minutes.
- Rinse the chickpeas
- Add water and aromatics (if using)
- Seal the lid and make sure the valve is closed
- Select BEAN function and time 12 minutes
- Slow-release 10 minutes
- Remove aromatics and enjoy!
Once the chickpea timer is done place a dish cloth over the valve and do a quick release to remove all the pressure.
Enjoy your fresh pot of chickpeas!
Flavour boosting your Instant Pot Chickpeas
There's no shortage of ways to level up your chickpea game here are a few ideas for add ins to level up your legumes!
- Aromatic: Onions, shallots, and garlic are amazing add-ins. Your Hummus recipe will be so delicious everyone will beg for it.
- Herbs: the most popular herbs for hummus is actually a bay leave but thyme, rosemary and parsley are very tasty too.
- Spices: Ground cumin & coriander are the perfect pair for your chickpeas plus the cumin help prevents some undesirable backwinds from happening.
- Olive oil: what would a Mediterranean recipe be without a touch of olive oil?
- For the quickest cooking timing, it's best to soak your chickpeas overnight or for at least 6 hours. Many recipes recommend using baking soda in the water during the soaking, but it's not necessary; you can skip it if you wish. If you skipped the soaking process then you'll need to pressure the chickpeas for 50 minutes.
- Cooked chickpeas last for up to 3 days in the fridge. After day 3, they start tasting off.
- Changed your mind about making this recipe, after soaking? That fine, just drain the soaked chickpea and add them to a resealable bag and freeze them for up to three months.
- Don't add salt to the cooking water it may slow down the cooking process or cause you to have hard chickpeas.
Looking More Instant Pot Recipes?
- 1 cup of chickpeas
- 4 cups of water (soaking)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (optional)
- 3 cups of water (cooking)
- Wash and sort the chickpeas, then add them to a large bowl and cover with 4 cups of water and baking soda. Cover the bowl and soak for 6-8 hours.
- Drain and rinse the soaked chickpea. Add the chickpeas to the instant pot then cover the chickpeas with 3 cups of water and secure the lid, make sure the steam release valve is sealed.
- Select the "BEAN" button and cook at high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Once the timer finishes, then allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes.
- When the screen reads LO:10, release the steam release valve to remove any remaining pressure.
- Open the lid, then test the chickpeas for tenderness by mashing one against the side of the pot with a fork.
The quick soaking method:
- 1 cup of dried beans with 3 cups of water and cook them in the Instant Pot for 2 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then move the steam release valve to release any remaining pressure.
- Rinse and drain the beans, and now they’re ready to cook as if they’ve been soaked overnight.
- Use fresh cooking water and follow the recipe directions.
Cooking dried chickpea:
- Follow the recipe but increase the time to 50 minutes.
- Slow-release 10 minutes
- The water amount stays the same.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:½ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 67Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 334mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g